nounBack to top
- (also alley-oop pass) Basketball A high pass caught by a leaping teammate who tries to dunk the ball before landing: she could catch alley-oops all day he took an alley-oop pass from VaughnMore example sentences
- Team USA threw a couple of balls away with ill-conceived alley-oops, missed a few wide-open jumpers and blew a couple of defensive assignments.
- Her new abilities allow her to play basketball like nobody's business, complete with slam dunks and alley-oops off concrete urban walls.
- Sadly, the only time I really enjoyed the game experience was when I teamed up with my son to see how many sweet dunks and alley-oops we could pull off.
early 20th century: perhaps from French allez! 'go on!' + a supposedly French pronunciation of up.
More definitions of alley-oopDefinition of alley-oop in:
- The US English dictionary