- A European shad (fish) with a deep blue back and silvery sides. Also called king of the herrings.
More example sentences
- Alosa alosa, family Clupeidae
- The three species of endangered fishes are allis shad, Killarney shad and pollan.
- In the early 19th century, allis shad made up a third of fish catches in the Severn (Britain's longest river).
- The current status of allis shad in Northern Ireland is unknown and requires urgent investigation.
late 16th century: allis from Old French alose, from late Latin alausa.