- Denoting a deposit or formation that originated at a distance from its present position. Often contrasted with autochthonous.More example sentences
- The fossils of the westernmost exposures of the Hoko River Formation are allochthonous, preserved in reworked concretions within conglomerates that were deposited as part of a submarine fan system during late Eocene time.
- However, this does not prove that the Moine rocks necessarily constitute an allochthonous terrane in the North American sense.
- Although some skeletal remains are evidently allochthonous, other remains are probably parautochthonous.
More definitions of allochthonousDefinition of allochthonous in:
- The US English dictionary