Definition of allogamy in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
The fertilization of a flower by pollen from another flower, especially one on a different plant. Compare with autogamy.
- This specialized system is thought to be an adaptation promoting allogamy by secondary pollen presentation.
- Similar patterns were observed for 100% allogamy and 10% allogamy.
- The allogamy in the genus Helianthus is favoured by the particular mechanism of anthesis in which anthers shed pollen before the stigma of the same flower is ready to receive it.
- Example sentences
- On the other hand, invading species with predominantly allogamous modes of reproduction may possess a high level of genetic diversity.
- In the literature, few studies of gene nucleotide diversity have considered both within-population and between-population variation in allogamous plants.
- Some species are self-compatible (thereafter called SC species) and are obligatorily or facultatively autogamous, while other species have a self-incompatible locus (SI species) and are obligatorily allogamous.
Definition of allogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.