noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic drug which inhibits uric acid formation, used to treat gout and related conditions.More example sentences
- A separate study in the United States reported in Circulation showed that the drug allopurinol - used to treat gout - dramatically improved smokers' endothelial function.
- Doctors commonly prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs at times of acute attacks and suggest the continued use of the prescription drug allopurinol, which reduces uric acid levels.
- After this last flare is resolved, he will begin treatment for recurrent gout with allopurinol 100 mg a day and colchicine 0.6 mg twice a day.
More definitions of allopurinolDefinition of allopurinol in:
- The US English dictionary