Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of allostasis in English:
The process by which the body responds to stressors in order to regain homeostasis.
- In most cases, the physiological effects of acute stressors are reversible owing to the amazing ability of the human organism to re-establish allostasis.
- This concept of optimal resource allocation under limited resource availability is similar to the concept of allostasis, where limited resources are allocated in order to maintain essential homeostasis.
- He discusses allostasis, the fight-or-flight reaction a person feels in the face of stressful situations.
- Example sentences
- It is suggested that allostatic load, the cumulative result of physiological allocation in relation to environmental stimuli, can lead to pathological conditions when demands for resources far outstrip the resources available.
- Body color thus suggests that acute responses are reinforced by subsequent allostatic readjustment of tonic hormone levels, particularly that of melanotropin.
- Homeostatic second order cybernetic systems demand this of the functional apparatus; it must be allopoietic, and allostatic at the same time.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.