- 1British A plot of land rented by an individual for growing vegetables or flowers.More example sentences
- Some of them have nice gardens at home for flowers, and want the allotments to grow vegetables.
- The couple have grown vegetables on two allotments on the Pickards Field site behind their home for 11 years.
- As newlyweds in the 1940s, the couple had rented a small allotment and grown potatoes, cabbages and salad crops, to help enrich their restricted diet amid post-war rationing.
- 1.1US , chiefly • historical A piece of land made over by the government to an American Indian.More example sentences
- After Ojibwa families took their allotments, unallotted land on reservations was then sold to the public.
- Other measures, most notably the Burke Act of 1906, allowed Indians to sell their allotments.
- For the Choctaws in Oklahoma, allotment proved to be disastrous.
- 2 [mass noun] The action of allotting something: the allotment of equity securitiesMore example sentences
allocation, assignment, issuing, issuance, awarding, grant, granting, administration, earmarking, designation, setting aside, budgeting; sharing out, apportionment, distribution, handing out, dealing out, doling out, giving out, parcelling out, rationing out, dividing out, dividing up, dispensation, measuring out, meting out
- The threat of delisting was related at the time to the fact that this allotment of shares had been made.
- You are right to blame the airlines, by the way: It is their design and their allotment of space that has turned coach accommodations into sardine cans for humans.
- The allotment of shares in the Estate Company, in satisfaction of the purchase price under the 1924 Contract, was made on 29th October 1924.
- 2.1 [count noun] An amount allotted to a person.More example sentences
- Dosages can range from minimal allotments to toxic amounts with a variety of outcomes.
- Mr Mwencha said payments for share allotments is expected to be completed over a maximum period of 12 months commencing in January.
- A few weeks ago I commented that many of our Lower Mainland lakes were being stocked with noticeably smaller allotments of rainbow trout.