Definition of allure in English:
The quality of being powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating: people for whom gold holds no allure
More example sentences
- Instead, the shadows crept over her, giving her a rather mysterious allure and then soon took off.
- Despite its romantic allure, gold has historically been a pretty lousy investment.
- Part of the continuing allure of police action films is the chance to get under the skin of a criminal, to glimpse into an alien world.
verb[with object] Back to top
Powerfully attract or charm; tempt: will sponsors really be allured by such opportunities?
More example sentences
- The once pretty and alluring attraction of Little Marlow had been lost.
- Becky, working as a governess, resorts to her good looks and alluring personality to move up in society.
- This British duo continues to rock with alluring sensitivity and a plenitude of pop sensibility.
attract, lure, entice, tempt, appeal to, whet the appetite of, make someone's mouth water, captivate, draw, beguile, bewitch, enchant, win over, charm, seduce, persuade, lead on, tantalize;
informal give the come-on to
informal , dated come-hither
- Example sentences
- It was held that the attractive-looking berries constituted an allurement to children for which the defendants were liable.
- I was walking with some girlfriends one sunny day and the conversation drifted around to what one thing we would wish for to make us feel better about our physical allurements.
- The law prohibits conversion from one religion to another by ‘the use of force or allurement or by fraudulent means’.
Words that rhyme with allureabjure, adjure, amour, assure, Bahawalpur, boor, Borobudur, Cavour, coiffure, conjure, couture, cure, dastur, de nos jours, doublure, dour, embouchure, endure, ensure, enure, gravure, immature, immure, impure, inure, Jaipur, Koh-i-noor, Kultur, liqueur, lure, manure, moor, Moore, Muir, mure, Nagpur, Namur, obscure, parkour, photogravure, plat du jour, Pompadour, procure, pure, rotogravure, Ruhr, Saussure, secure, simon-pure, spoor, Stour, sure, tour, Tours, velour, Yom Kippur, you're
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan