Definition of allyl in English:
noun[as modifier] Chemistry
Of or denoting the unsaturated hydrocarbon radical —CH2CH=CH2: allyl alcohol
More example sentences
- The biosynthesis of many important primary metabolites (such as cholesterol) proceed through intermediates that contain the allyl alcohol functional group.
- Epichlorohydrin is an important epoxide whose creation comes mainly from hydrochlorination of allyl chloride.
- Garlic and onions are medicinal for their allyl sulphides antioxidant and detoxifying activity.
- Example sentences
- An example that Blackmond often uses is the asymmetric hydrogenation of the allylic alcohols geraniol and its isomers (g geraniol and nerol) carried out while she was at Merck.
- For substances containing allyl or allylic side chains a direct mechanism of action involving an allylic cation which then reacts with nucleophilic centers of nucleic acid bases has been discussed in the literature.
- Decomposition of these primary photoproducts to give secondary products arising from allylic hydroperoxide degradation - either by Hock rearrangement or by alkenyl ether epoxidation - was also observed.
Definition of allyl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan