noun[as modifier] Chemistry
Of or denoting the unsaturated hydrocarbon radical —CH2CH=CH2: allyl alcohol
More example sentences
- The biosynthesis of many important primary metabolites (such as cholesterol) proceed through intermediates that contain the allyl alcohol functional group.
- Epichlorohydrin is an important epoxide whose creation comes mainly from hydrochlorination of allyl chloride.
- Garlic and onions are medicinal for their allyl sulphides antioxidant and detoxifying activity.
- Example sentences
- An example that Blackmond often uses is the asymmetric hydrogenation of the allylic alcohols geraniol and its isomers (g geraniol and nerol) carried out while she was at Merck.
- For substances containing allyl or allylic side chains a direct mechanism of action involving an allylic cation which then reacts with nucleophilic centers of nucleic acid bases has been discussed in the literature.
- Decomposition of these primary photoproducts to give secondary products arising from allylic hydroperoxide degradation - either by Hock rearrangement or by alkenyl ether epoxidation - was also observed.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: allyl
Definition of allyl in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.