(also, especially in titles, almanack)
Definition of almanac in English:
1An annual calendar containing important dates and statistical information such as astronomical data and tide tables.
- One member of this group happens to have an almanac with all the dates that are meaningful to him in whatever personal way - birthdays, anniversaries, etc. - circled in red.
- The lunar calendar and almanacs are also used to determine auspicious and inauspicious days for doing various endeavors, from starting a business, to getting married.
- Because feast days in such almanacs and calendars were frequently written or printed in red, a red-letter day came to be a term for one that was special.
1.1A handbook, typically published annually, containing information of general interest or on a sport or pastime.
- Since the almanack was first published in 1948, it has been a must for cricket lovers.
- The more interesting parts of the almanack, however, can be found beyond the player profiles.
- Even though women had a lot of difficulty with their published works at this time, almanacs were one area of publishing where women were able to make some headway.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.