(also, especially in titles, almanack)
Definition of almanac in English:
1An annual calendar containing important dates and statistical information such as astronomical data and tide tables.
- One member of this group happens to have an almanac with all the dates that are meaningful to him in whatever personal way - birthdays, anniversaries, etc. - circled in red.
- The lunar calendar and almanacs are also used to determine auspicious and inauspicious days for doing various endeavors, from starting a business, to getting married.
- Because feast days in such almanacs and calendars were frequently written or printed in red, a red-letter day came to be a term for one that was special.
1.1A handbook, typically published annually, containing information of general interest or on a sport or pastime.
- Since the almanack was first published in 1948, it has been a must for cricket lovers.
- The more interesting parts of the almanack, however, can be found beyond the player profiles.
- Even though women had a lot of difficulty with their published works at this time, almanacs were one area of publishing where women were able to make some headway.