(In historical or religious contexts) the practice of giving money or food to poor people: benevolence in the form of almsgiving was encouraged
More example sentences
- The growing alienation of the elites had turned poverty from an opportunity for the Christian virtue of almsgiving into a sign of moral failure.
- He was in charge of the care of church property and almsgiving.
- There are three traditional focuses for our Lenten observance and they are prayer, fasting and almsgiving.
- Example sentences
- He was a generous almsgiver.
- He was an almsgiver with a firm determination to study Buddhist scriptures.
- Unlike the almsgivers of past times to whom suffering was suffering and to be alleviated however it had been incurred, these men are stern moralists.
Definition of almsgiving in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.