Definition of aloe vera in English:
1 [mass noun] A gelatinous substance obtained from a kind of aloe, used especially in cosmetics as an emollient.
- The liquid creatine of today has come a long way with the help of ingredients such as soybean oil, colloidal mineral complexes and aloe vera gel.
- If babies are teething, rub peppermint oil or aloe vera gel on the gums, or give them a teaspoon of the chamomile/ginger tea brew as needed.
- Sun Dog offers a solution for that winter-induced dry skin with new hand and body lotions made with only natural ingredients, like aloe vera, vegetable glycerin and organic hemp oil, and free of chemical preservatives.
2The plant that yields aloe vera, grown chiefly in the Caribbean area and the southern US.
- Aloe vera, family Liliaceae (or Aloaceae)
- The aloe vera plant is grown typically in dry areas and is actually a member of the lily family, although it has a more cactus like appearance.
- They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.
- You can grow your own aloe vera plants, or purchase the stabilised liquid extract or gel from your health food store.
early 20th century: modern Latin, literally 'true aloe', probably in contrast to the American agave, which closely resembles aloe vera: both plants were formerly classified together in the lily family.
Definition of aloe vera in:
- US English dictionary