- A very long valveless wooden wind instrument played like a horn and used for signalling in the Alps.More example sentences
- The quartet's instrumental line-up - bass, piano and Arkady Shilkloper on horn, flugel, alphorn and alperidoo - means that we're a long way from Billie Holiday.
- Dr. Hans brought up the fact that although the alphorns were still made in Switzerland from traditional pinewood, the strapping around the length of the horn was these days made from Thai bamboo.
- Rollerbladers, red flames shooting from their helmets, sped across a stage while alpine cows danced and men in lederhosen played alpenhorns.
late 19th century: from German, literally 'Alp horn'.
More definitions of alpenhornDefinition of alpenhorn in:
- The US English dictionary