Definition of alpha and omega in English:
1The beginning and the end (used by Christians as a title for Jesus).
- When Jesus talks about being alpha and omega, it offers the picture of someone at both ends of something, without middle ground.
- A range of portable items have been found bearing Christian motifs such as the chi-rho, alpha and omega, or the representation of a fish.
- A sign outside says in huge letters: Jesus said ‘I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end’.
1.1The essence or most important features: collective bargaining is seen as the alpha and omega of trade unionism
More example sentences
- Why should one of the elect be bothered about table manners, if cognitive ability, without virtue or civility, is the alpha and omega of human excellence?
- We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.
- Instead, Jews and Judaism provided both the foundation of society and its hope for the future - they have become, if you will, the alpha and the omega of humanity.
Definition of alpha and omega in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan