Definition of alpha and omega in English:
1The beginning and the end (used by Christians as a title for Jesus).
- When Jesus talks about being alpha and omega, it offers the picture of someone at both ends of something, without middle ground.
- A range of portable items have been found bearing Christian motifs such as the chi-rho, alpha and omega, or the representation of a fish.
- A sign outside says in huge letters: Jesus said ‘I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end’.
1.1The essence or most important features: collective bargaining is seen as the alpha and omega of trade unionism
More example sentences
- Why should one of the elect be bothered about table manners, if cognitive ability, without virtue or civility, is the alpha and omega of human excellence?
- We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.
- Instead, Jews and Judaism provided both the foundation of society and its hope for the future - they have become, if you will, the alpha and the omega of humanity.
Definition of alpha and omega in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.