A South American plant with showy lily-like flowers, cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genus Alstroemeria, family Liliaceae: several species
More example sentences
- Some of the best and most widely adapted annual cut flowers with the longest vase life include alstroemeria, aster, cosmos, snapdragon, sunflower, yarrow, and zinnia.
- In the perennial gardens, the use of colorful and fragrant plants, including gladiolus, iris, tuberose and alstroemeria, is abundant.
- Although I'll bet Dominic didn't choose the alstroemeria on its meaning, it's definitely similar to his life and personality.
late 18th century: modern Latin, named after Klas von Alstroemer (1736–96), Swedish naturalist.
Definition of alstroemeria in:
- The US English dictionary