Definition of although in English:
- He likes the fact that although the club has a cosmopolitan feel it still clings to old values.
- We can agree the deletion of the second paragraph, although this is a statement of fact.
- We kept on coming back on safaris, but although we longed to move here we knew it was just a distant dream.
- It is illegal for both team members to bid nil, although each team can have a player bidding nil.
- The moon is largely responsible for our tides, although the sun also plays a small part.
- This came to me in my sleep last night, although I had to check the facts at Wikipedia.
The form although can be replaced by though, the only difference being that although tends to be more formal than though. Some uses of though are not interchangeable with although, however: for example, adverbial uses ( it was nice of him to phone, though) and uses in phrases with ‘as’ or ‘even’ ( she doesn’t look as though she’s listening).
Words that rhyme with althoughaglow, ago, alow, apropos, art nouveau, Bamako, Bardot, beau, Beaujolais Nouveau, below, bestow, blow, bo, Boileau, bons mots, Bordeaux, Bow, bravo, bro, cachepot, cheerio, Coe, crow, Defoe, de trop, doe, doh, dos-à-dos, do-si-do, dough, dzo, Flo, floe, flow, foe, foreknow, foreshow, forgo, Foucault, froe, glow, go, good-oh, go-slow, grow, gung-ho, Heathrow, heave-ho, heigh-ho, hello, ho, hoe, ho-ho, jo, Joe, kayo, know, lo, low, maillot, malapropos, Marceau, mho, Miró, mo, Mohs, Monroe, mot, mow, Munro, no, Noh, no-show, oh, oho, outgo, outgrow, owe, Perrault, pho, po, Poe, pro, quid pro quo, reshow, righto, roe, Rouault, row, Rowe, sew, shew, show, sloe, slow, snow, so, soh, sow, status quo, stow, Stowe, strow, tally-ho, though, throw, tic-tac-toe, to-and-fro, toe, touch-and-go, tow, trow, undergo, undersow, voe, whacko, whoa, wo, woe, Xuzhou, yo, yo-ho-ho, Zhengzhou, Zhou
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.