Definition of altimetry in English:
The measurement of height or altitude: we can use altimetry to monitor the surface ocean currents satellite altimetry
More example sentences
- The global measurements to be provided by the imminent GRACE mission and by continuing efforts in satellite altimetry are expected to provide a definitive solution to this important climatological and geophysical puzzle.
- He has authored more than 30 journal articles on such topics as airborne laser altimetry, crustal deformation monitoring, and high-precision GPS reference networks.
- Laser altimetry gives much more precise measurements than radar, with a horizontal resolution of around 100 m.
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin altimetria.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to be certain of the topography across areas seen in the SAR images, because Cassini cannot acquire SAR images and altimetric measurements simultaneously.
- Therefore we are confident that a blend of both tide gage and altimetric data offers the best solution.
- A correlation technique was developed for estimating subsurface temperature from altimetric data.
Definition of altimetry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan