Definition of altimetry in English:
The measurement of height or altitude: we can use altimetry to monitor the surface ocean currents satellite altimetry
More example sentences
- The global measurements to be provided by the imminent GRACE mission and by continuing efforts in satellite altimetry are expected to provide a definitive solution to this important climatological and geophysical puzzle.
- He has authored more than 30 journal articles on such topics as airborne laser altimetry, crustal deformation monitoring, and high-precision GPS reference networks.
- Laser altimetry gives much more precise measurements than radar, with a horizontal resolution of around 100 m.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to be certain of the topography across areas seen in the SAR images, because Cassini cannot acquire SAR images and altimetric measurements simultaneously.
- Therefore we are confident that a blend of both tide gage and altimetric data offers the best solution.
- A correlation technique was developed for estimating subsurface temperature from altimetric data.
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin altimetria.
Definition of altimetry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.