noun (plural altiplanos)
- The high tableland of central South America.More example sentences
- Alpacas originate from the high altiplano of South America, and must withstand vast climate changes.
- I have traveled to Ecuador, looking at housing high in the rocky altiplano where nearby volcanoes have snow-covered peaks and along the coast where palm trees barely stir in the noon-day heat.
- Moreover, the traffic into Potosi necessarily included huge quantities of food and drink produced all over the altiplano and in the lowlands on either side.
early 20th century: from Spanish.
More definitions of altiplanoDefinition of altiplano in:
- The US English dictionary