- Cloud forming a continuous uniform layer which resembles stratus but occurs at medium altitude (typically 2 to 7 km, 6,500 to 23,000 ft).More example sentences
- The grey layer looks like and should be an altostratus although the fronts look different in the tropical regions.
- An altostratus cloud usually covers the whole sky and has a gray or blue-gray appearance.
- Where enough light shows through cirrostratus clouds to create shadows, it does not with altostratus.
late 19th century: from modern Latin alto- (from Latin altus 'high') + stratus.
More definitions of altostratusDefinition of altostratus in:
- The US English dictionary