A white solid that is a major constituent of many rocks, especially clays, and is found crystallized as corundum, sapphire, and other minerals.
- Alternative name: aluminium oxide; chemical formula: Al2O3
More example sentences
- The silica, alumina, and iron come from sand, clay, and iron ore.
- The major exports are bauxite, alumina, gold, and diamonds.
- Already some sites yield little more than a mass of crystallised aluminium oxide.
late 18th century: from Latin alumen (see alum), on the pattern of words such as magnesia.
Definition of alumina in:
- The US English dictionary