- (Chiefly of minerals and rocks) containing alumina or aluminium: aluminous pelitesMore example sentences
- Mafic and ultramafic rocks predominate, although a few examples of metasedimentary rocks are known, including aluminous lithologies.
- Associated units are sillimanite-bearing aluminous metasediments, quartzites, and arnphibolites.
- Plagioclase is commonly variably replaced by aluminous prehnite, which indicates temperatures below 400°C.
late Middle English: from Latin aluminosus, from alumen, alumin- (see alum).
More definitions of aluminousDefinition of aluminous in:
- The US English dictionary