noun (plural alyssums)
A herbaceous Eurasian plant which typically bears small white or yellow flowers. Some kinds are cultivated in gardens.
- Genera Alyssum and Lobularia, family Cruciferae: many species
More example sentences
- We planted blue and white alyssums around her alder trees, and pink begonias around her house and gate.
- Reserve some space for colorful annuals like zinnia, marigold, calendula, alyssum, and cosmos.
- The most commonly planted rockery flowers are aubretia and alyssum.
mid 16th century (used loosely to denote various medicinal herbs): modern Latin, from Latin alysson, from Greek alusson, from a- 'without' + lussa 'rabies' (referring to early herbalist use).
Definition of alyssum in:
- The US English dictionary