Definition of amaranth in English:
1A plant of a chiefly tropical family that includes love-lies-bleeding.
- Family Amaranthaceae: several genera, especially Amaranthus
- Several important crops are members of these families, with amaranth probably one of the most promising unexploited food and fodder crops.
- Like other members of the amaranth family it is nutritious and highly decorative with reddish-purple markings on the stems.
- The genus Celosia, of the amaranth family, offers blooms that satisfy the florist or gardener who's looking for a more unusual plant.
- Example sentences
- As I'm learning more and more about Judaism, I'm finding that there is an amaranthine well of knowledge for me to uncover.
- In the amaranthine blackness, there were no days, and there were no years.
- She returned her gaze to the sunset, washing everything in tones of red and amaranthine.
Definition of amaranth in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan