A bulbous plant with showy trumpet-shaped flowers and strap-shaped leaves.
- Two plants of the family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae): the South African Amaryllis belladonna (also called belladonna lily), and (popularly) a tropical South American plant of the genus Hippeastrum, grown as a houseplant
More example sentences
- I also dug the amaryllis, which I plant out each summer after their winter show.
- The two easiest bulbs to force are paper-white narcissus and amaryllis.
- Cheryl Howie of Iowa keeps her amaryllis standing straight with a unique plant stake she made out of a Frisbee and a few wooden dowels.
modern Latin, from Latin Amaryllis (from Greek Amarullis), a name for a country girl in pastoral poetry.
Definition of amaryllis in:
- The US English dictionary