(also amboyna wood)
- The decorative timber of a rapidly growing SE Asian tree, used for cabinetmaking.
More example sentences
- The tree is Pterocarpus indicus, family Leguminosae
- Its paleness escapes looking bland thanks to contrasting inlays of ebony, walnut and amboyna, a wood distinguished by bird's eye curls.
- After finishing the surface, the grain texture of amboyna wood has a depth and richness unmatched in other textured woods.
- The centrepiece of the pavilion was a grand piano designed by Ruhlmann and made from such exotic materials as amboyna wood and Macassar ebony.
mid 19th century: named after Amboina Island (see Ambon).