A small wood-boring beetle whose adults and larvae (called pinhole borers) feed on ambrosia produced by fungus in the wood.
- Genus Platypus (family Platypodidae), and Xyleborus and other genera (family Scolytidae)
More example sentences
- Then come ambrosia beetles and western oak bark beetles by the thousands, flocking to feed, tunnel out galleries, and lay their eggs.
- It turns out that besides humans, four kinds of animal are known to farm fungi - leaf cutter ants, termites, ambrosia beetles, and marsh snails.
- In 2003, we started trapping ambrosia beetles and other wood boring beetles in ornamental nurseries.
Definition of ambrosia beetle in:
- The US English dictionary