Definition of Amharic in English:
The official language of Ethiopia, a Semitic language descended from Ge’ez and spoken by about 9 million people.
- The dates on the tombs follow the Ethiopian calendar which is seven years behind the Gregorian; the inscriptions are written in Amharic, Ethiopia's official language.
- Apart from working on these languages, the team has also put in place a system for translation from English to Amharic, an Ethiopian language.
- Many of the groups are bilingual, and because of the legacy of Ethiopian domination over Eritrea, many Eritreans also speak Amharic, the Ethiopian administrative language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Amharic.
- Most Eritreans - Muslim, Christian and animist - rejected absorption into Haile Selassie's Amharic empire and, later, the Marxist terror state of the Dergue, which overthrew him.
- When differentiating between ‘traditional’ and ‘modern’ art, he uses the Amharic terms bahelawi and zemenawi.
- On the two open pages, in crude script, is the Amharic caption, ‘The nun at her prayers,’ followed by the date ‘1992 AM,’ i.e., the Ethiopian Year of Mercy 1992.
Words that rhyme with Amharicbarbaric, Garrick, Pindaric, samsaric
Definition of Amharic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.