noun[mass noun] Medicine
- An antidepressant drug of the tricyclic group, with a mild tranquillizing action.More example sentences
- Tricyclic antidepressants, including amitriptyline, can cause weight gain, drowsiness, and anticholinergic symptoms.
- The most useful drugs are anticonvulsants, especially gabapentin and carbamazepine, and tricyclic antidepressants, especially amitriptyline.
- Of the tricyclic antidepressants, amitriptyline appears to be the most efficacious in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy when compared to placebo.
More definitions of amitriptylineDefinition of amitriptyline in:
- The US English dictionary