A synthetic, addictive, mood-altering drug, used illegally as a stimulant: the amphetamine put him on a high for an hour [count noun]: he was jailed for three months for possessing amphetamines
- Chemical formula: C6H5CH2CH(CH3)NH2
More example sentences
- Ritalin is a stimulant whose effects are similar to those of amphetamine, methamphetamine and cocaine.
- Scientists don't know much about how drugs like amphetamine and Prozac interact in young children.
- The stimulant drugs are based on amphetamine and carry a risk of sudden death from fatal heart rhythms.
1930s: abbreviation of its chemical name, a(lpha-)m(ethyl) phe(ne)t(hyl)amine.
Definition of amphetamine in:
- The US English dictionary