noun[mass noun] Geology
- A granular metamorphic rock consisting mainly of hornblende and plagioclase.More example sentences
- It contains a variety of lithologies including augen gneiss, quartzite, amphibolite, calc-silicate, pelite and marble.
- The prominent basement rocks of the Brumado area are Precambrian in age and consist dominantly of gneisses, schists, and amphibolite.
- A uniform, regionally concordant layer of amphibolite with occasional ultramafic pods, termed the Sta Amphibolite, overlies the Sta Series.
More definitions of amphiboliteDefinition of amphibolite in:
- The US English dictionary