- (Of a classical building) having a portico at each end but not at the sides.More example sentences
- The Archaic temple had the same Doric tetrastyle amphiprostyle plan as the subsequent one.
- Its monumental entrance, in the form of an amphiprostyle Corinthian portico, was in the southeast corner.
- It is an amphiprostyle temple with four columns in antis in the front and rear.
early 18th century: via Latin from Greek amphiprostulos, from amphi- 'both, on both sides'+ prostulos 'having pillars in front' (see prostyle).
More definitions of amphiprostyleDefinition of amphiprostyle in:
- The US English dictionary