- A fully aquatic eel-like amphibian with very small limbs, occurring in stagnant water and swamps in the south-eastern US.
More example sentences
- Family Amphiumidae and genus Amphiuma: three species
- Unlike sirens, amphiumas retain both pairs of girdles and limbs, though both are reduced in size, and the limbs are often both difficult to discern and of decreased function in adults.
- If handled roughly, the amphiuma will become aggressive and provide the aggressor with a painful bite.
- Female amphiumas come to land to nest and lay their eggs, usually under a log near the water's edge.
modern Latin, probably formed irregularly from amphi- 'both' + Greek pneuma 'breath'.
More definitions of amphiumaDefinition of amphiuma in:
- The US English dictionary