noun[mass noun] Zoology
- The mating position of frogs and toads, in which the male clasps the female about the back: pairs of toads in amplexus are easily caughtMore example sentences
- As a female enters a spawning area, several males engage in amplexus with the female; in this way eggs and sperm are broadcast over the substrate.
- Of these, most resulted from a female initiating amplexus with a calling male.
- Females choose mates without interference from males, which rarely exhibit satellite behavior, do not search actively for females, and do not displace other males from amplexus.
1930s: from Latin, 'an embrace'.
More definitions of amplexusDefinition of amplexus in:
- The US English dictionary