Cut off (a limb) by surgical operation: surgeons had to amputate her left hand
More example sentences
- If tissue damage is severe, a health care provider may need to remove the tissue surgically or amputate the limb.
- The dilemma of the surgeon being asked to amputate a healthy limb is similar.
- Fire chiefs have admitted that as soldiers are unable to use cutting gear, surgeons might have to amputate limbs of car crash victims at accident scenes.
- Example sentences
- Still, at least losing him won't endanger the very defence of our nation, in danger as it is of being overrun by foreign hoards, be they limb amputators, celibate pixies or harpoon-wielding Eskimos.
- The sight of paratroopers and Gurkhas on the streets of Freetown sent a signal to the local population that they should not lose hope, that they would be offered protection from Sankoh's amputators.
- The allegation arose because he wrote in a newspaper column that they were ‘limb amputators and women oppressors’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.