noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A colourless synthetic liquid used as an additive in diesel fuel to improve its ignition properties.
- Chemical formula: C5H11NO3
More example sentences
- I was absolutely hooked - quite possibly something to do with the smell of ether and amyl nitrate in the fuel.
- I even used to make my own fuel, the contents of which contained wonderfully volatile components such as amyl nitrate and ether.
- When I looked down and breathed in it was the unmistakeable smell of amyl nitrate reaching my nostrils.
Amyl nitrate and amyl nitrite are distinct substances. The street drug is amyl nitrite, but is often incorrectly called amyl nitrate.
Definition of amyl nitrate in:
- The US English dictionary