noun[mass noun] Medicine
1A starch-like protein which is deposited in the liver, kidneys, spleen, or other tissues in certain diseases.
- Amyloidosis occurs when the protein amyloid is deposited in the kidneys under conditions other than ordinary.
- Hiapp belongs to the group of amyloidogenic proteins, characterized by their aggregation and deposition as fibrillar amyloid in various body tissues.
- This case is unique because of the massive deposition of amyloid in the spleen, adrenal gland, and liver.
1.1 another term for amyloidosis. a bewildering illness eventually diagnosed as amyloid of the kidneys
More example sentences
- Bronchiolar diseases and amyloid and malignant lymphoma were seen less frequently.
- Among four cases with primary pulmonary lymphoma, amyloid was observed in three cases as a minor finding.
- The first and more predominant structure was a mesh of filaments measuring 10 to 15 nm in diameter, which is typical of amyloid.
Definition of amyloid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.