noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- The synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism.More example sentences
- The synthetic metabolic process of anabolism or the eliminative process of catabolism results in some chemical by-product that requires elimination.
- During anabolism, small molecules are changed into larger, more complex molecules of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.
- In healthy elderly men, age-related decline in quadriceps muscle force has been related to the reduced circulating levels of testosterone, which is able to stimulate muscle protein anabolism and motor neuron size.
late 19th century: from Greek anabolē 'ascent', from ana- 'up' + ballein 'to throw'.
More definitions of anabolismDefinition of anabolism in:
- The US English dictionary