- A semiaquatic snake of the boa family which may grow to a great size, native to tropical South America.
More example sentences
- Genus Eunectes, family Boidae: several species
- This reptile family includes such notable snakes as anacondas, pythons, and boa constrictors, all big animals notorious for their ability to tackle prey even larger than themselves.
- You got the python, Larry, the anaconda and the boa constrictor.
- They are also preyed upon by mammalian predators such as cats, and by snakes such as boas and anacondas.
mid 18th century (originally denoting a kind of Sri Lankan snake): unexplained alteration of Latin anacandaia 'python', from Sinhalese henakaňdayā 'whip snake', from hena 'lightning' + kaňda 'stem'.
More definitions of anacondaDefinition of anaconda in:
- The US English dictionary