noun[mass noun] Medicine
- An acute allergic reaction to an antigen (e.g. a bee sting) to which the body has become hypersensitive.More example sentences
- Serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis, occur rarely, but timely intervention is crucial.
- Table 7 provides a summary of symptoms of latex exposure and possible anaphylaxis for both conscious and anesthetized patients.
- In addition, patients with previous reactions, including anaphylaxis, to the influenza vaccine should not be vaccinated.
early 20th century: modern Latin, from Greek ana- 'again' + phulaxis 'guarding'.
More definitions of anaphylaxisDefinition of anaphylaxis in:
- The US English dictionary