(also ancho chilli)
noun (plural anchos)
- A large aromatic variety of chilli, used (usually dried) in dishes of Mexican origin or style.More example sentences
- I love a side dish of anchos sauteed in butter and olive oil, more butter and olive oil than they need.
- Each is desperate to entice you with luscious tomatilla salsa and freshly harvested prickly pears and aching to discuss whether your chilli preference is for ancho or chipotle.
- For example, a poblano can also be called pasilla, unless it is dried; then it is sometimes an ancho, adding to the chaos.
from Mexican Spanish (chile) ancho, 'wide (chilli)'.
More definitions of anchoDefinition of ancho in:
- The US English dictionary