- An anchovy found off the Pacific coasts of South America, of great commercial importance to Peru.
More example sentences
- Engraulis ringens, family Engraulidae
- Catches of a type of anchovy called anchoveta were above 10 million tons in the late 1960s to 1971 off northern and central Peru.
- Vast quantities of Peruvian anchoveta have been shipped to developed countries for use as animal feed.
- The Peruvian anchoveta population was heavily fished and collapsed during the warming of the 1972 El Niño.
1940s: from Spanish, diminutive of anchova (see anchovy).