noun (plural anchovies)
A small shoaling fish of commercial importance as a food fish and as bait. It is strongly flavoured and is usually preserved in salt and oil.
- Genus Engraulis, family Engraulidae: several species
More example sentences
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- Adult halibut prefer a diet of small fish such as anchovies, sardines, and white croaker.
- Groups such as silversides, herrings and anchovies often congregate in feeding shoals numbering in the millions.
Definition of anchovy in:
- The US English dictionary