- The shop, which sells donated books and CDs, helps owners on benefits to pay for treatment for sick pets.
- He and I had been friends for a long time.
- He was wearing a navy blue and green anorak.
- I opened the door and looked around.
- The man then ran towards a waiting car and was driven away by someone else.
- I lifted my arm and wiped my eyes with my sleeve.
- But the fun had gone out of it and the next day we did not travel.
- Early successes in some areas were dramatic, and by the early 1960s malaria was reduced to very low levels in certain countries.
- Don't take the movie too seriously, and you might enjoy it too.
- Spamming is getting worse and worse - and more profitable for spammers.
- This case just continues to get more and more complex.
- Meeting the needs of a growing population will require the country to sink further and further into debt.
- I've been a humongous fan of his music for years and years.
- I ran and ran until I reached the outskirts of the forest.
- This was a very flat land - he could see for miles and miles, it seemed.
- But there are arguments and arguments, and it may be said that I have fastened on the wrong one.
- There are Christians and Christians, as there Jews and Jews.
- You lie, we lie, everybody lies - but there are lies and lies.
- She's sick of spending her lunches with people that are so stupid they can't add two and two.
- I believe that four and four are eight.
- I know that two and two make four - and should be glad to prove it too if I could.
- He's a crook, a bit nutty, and rightly did time for his crimes.
- He plays the piano ‘badly and vulgarly,’ and what is worse, he plays Grieg.
- As an incentive, a customer that brings friends - and hopefully sales - to a party may receive additional discounts.
- ‘I've just needed some time to myself to think about us.’ ‘And have you reached a conclusion?’
- ‘He wanted to know if I wanted to be his partner for a social project.’ ‘And what did you say?’
- ‘They are going to put my client out of business.’ ‘And where is the evidence of that, Mr. Adams?’
- And now, the Page Six report.
- And next, we're going to go live to California for the very latest on the wildfires that are threatening celebrity mansions.
- Anyway, thank you for your lovely review! And here is the next chapter.
- We're going to see a day where 100,000 people come and worship with us on a weekend, between our five services.
- Our primary objective right now is to try and market the region as a whole.
- The experts also advise that you try and keep your cool.
- Using AND gates the researchers can synchronize the time-gated and non-gated signals to within 3 ns.
- The AND gate performs a logical ‘and ‘operation on two inputs, A and B.’
- A vehicular crash discrimination system incorporates first and second crash sensors operatively coupled to a logic AND gate, which activates a safety restraint system.
1 It is still widely taught and believed that conjunctions such as and (and also but and because) should not be used to start a sentence, the argument being that a sentence starting with and expresses an incomplete thought and is therefore incorrect. Writers down the centuries have readily ignored this advice, however, using and to start a sentence, typically for rhetorical effect, as in the following example: What are the government’s chances of winning in court? And what are the consequences? 2 A small number of verbs, notably try, come, and go can be followed by and with another verb, as in sentences like we’re going to try and explain it to them or why don’t you come and see the film? The structures in these verbs correspond to the use of the infinitive to, as in we’re going to try to explain it to them or why don’t you come to see the film? Since these structures are grammatically odd—for example, the use is normally only idiomatic with the infinitive of the verb and not with other forms (i.e. it is not possible to say I tried and explained it to them)—they are regarded as wrong by some traditionalists. However, these uses are extremely common and can certainly be regarded as part of standard English.3 For information about whether it is more correct to say both the boys and the girls or both the boys and girls, see both (usage)4 Where items in a list are separated by and, the following verb needs to be in the plural: see or1 (usage).
- Either or both of two stated possibilities: audio and/or video componentsMore example sentences
- What's your favorite thing to eat (and/or drink) on the bike?
- Feel free to discuss any of the above, and/or to ask questions about any of it.
- You could experience nausea, insomnia, fatigue, and/or muscle cramps.
Words that rhyme with andband, bland, brand, expand, firsthand, gland, grand, hand, land, manned, misunderstand, offhand, rand, righthand, Samarkand, sand, stand, strand, thirdhand, underhand, undermanned, understand, unplanned, untanned, withstand
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: and