- A metal stand, typically one of a pair, for supporting wood burning in a fireplace.More example sentences
- In the fireplace are a pair of brass andirons and a fender, American or English, dating from the early nineteenth century.
- Antique andirons and fireplace tools survive in some quantity, but hard use has often taken its toll and they may be more decorative than useful today.
- The original kitchen fireplace remains, retaining its cast-iron cauldron and andirons, but it was refaced during the 1896 renovation with blue tiles purchased from Traitel Brothers, tile suppliers in New York City.
Middle English: from Old French andier, of unknown origin. The ending was altered by association with iron.
More definitions of andironDefinition of andiron in:
- The US English dictionary