noun (plural same or angelfishes)
Any of a number of laterally compressed deep-bodied fishes with extended dorsal and anal fins, typically brightly coloured or boldly striped:
- ● a freshwater fish native to the Amazon basin (genus Pterophyllum, family Cichlidae), in particular P. scalare. ● a marine or reef-dwelling fish (several genera in the family Chaetodontidae). ● another term for batfish (sense 2)
More example sentences
- Freshwater angelfish have extended dorsal and anal fins and discus fishes, have compressed, disc-like bodies.
- In marine areas, species concentrations are highest around coral reefs, where butterflyfishes and angelfishes, wrasses, parrotfishes and triggerfishes are common.
- Parrotfish, wrasse, grouper, angelfish, butterflyfish and barracuda are permanent residents.
Definition of angelfish in:
- The US English dictionary