Definition of anger in English:
A strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility: the colonel’s anger at his daughter’s disobedience
More example sentences
- Music has the power to seize the soul, to match anger with anger, grief with grief.
- But it is no small thing to see anger and resentment each and every time you try to open up.
- Any leader needs a strong and loyal party, not one riven with anger at how the leader came by his crown.
annoyance, vexation, exasperation, crossness, irritation, irritability, indignation, pique, displeasure, resentment;
rage, fury, wrath, outrage, temper, road rage, air rage, irascibility, ill temper, dyspepsia, spleen, ill humour, tetchiness, testiness, waspishness
verb[with object] Back to top
Fill (someone) with anger; provoke anger in: she was angered by his terse answer [with object and clause]: he was angered that he had not been told
More example sentences
- His relationship with the Labour party was an uneasy one, with the political party wary of angering the man who owned newspapers sympathetic to Labour principles.
- The Government has delayed an announcement on third-level fees promised for this week, angering students.
- What is out-dated is the belief that it is possible to conduct politics by ignoring your allies and angering your enemies.
enrage, incense, infuriate, madden, inflame, antagonize, make someone's blood boil, make someone's hackles rise, rub up the wrong way, ruffle someone's feathers, ruffle, peeve
informal drive mad/crazy, drive up the wall, make someone see red, get someone's back up, get someone's dander up, get someone's goat, get under someone's skin, get up someone's nose, rattle someone's cage
vulgar slang piss off
informal , dated give someone the pip
Anger is from Old Norse angr ‘grief’, angra ‘to vex’. Original use was in the Old Norse senses; current senses date from late Middle English.
Words that rhyme with angerclangour (US clangor), Katanga, languor, manga, panga, sangar, tanga, Tauranga, Zamboanga
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan