English-speaking: the population is largely anglophone
More example sentences
- The current century is going to be the century of the global dominance of the English language, anglophone culture, and of the Anglo-Saxon derived polities - for both good and ill.
- Those three anglophone thinkers each tried to provide a theory, right or wrong, to engage and elucidate some kinds of facts about human communication.
- The Gascon-Thomas Award, now in its 10th year, is always given to one francophone and one anglophone artist in recognition of a significant contribution to Canadian theatre.
An English-speaking person.
- This is especially important in areas where francophones intermarry with anglophones and are incapable of transmitting the French language to their children.
- Despite the common portrayal of Canada's two major linguistic groups as ‘two solitudes,’ research shows that anglophones and francophones continue to hold similar values, distinct from those in the United States.
- Having lived in 10 Montreal boroughs or neighbourhoods since I was born, I can honestly say that Verdun is not only the most bilingual area on the island, but also the one in which francophones and anglophones get along the best.
Definition of anglophone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.