(also angostura bark)
- 1An aromatic bitter bark from certain South American trees, used as a flavouring, and formerly as a tonic and to reduce fever.
More example sentences
- The trees are Angostura febrifuga and Galipea officinalis, family Rutaceae
- Angostura is a very bitter liquor with 40% alcohol, it is collected from the bark of the angostura tree, from cloves, enzian and bitter orange.
- Eventually, Old World plants were incorporated into these heady infusions, some of which included gentian root, colombo root, cinchona bark, ground ivy, horehound, cassia, wormwood, and angostura bark and root.
- Its characteristic structure serves to distinguish cusparia from other adulterants, such as copalchi bark (Croton niveus, Jacq.), and Brazilian angostura bark (Esenbeckia febrifuga, A. Juss).
- 1.1 short for Angostura bitters.
late 18th century: from the place name Angostura.
More definitions of AngosturaDefinition of angostura in:
- The US English dictionary