noun (plural anis)
A glossy black long-tailed bird of the cuckoo family, with a large deep bill, found in Central and South America.
- Genus Crotophaga, family Cuculidae: three species
More example sentences
- Because anis have altricial nestlings, the provisioning help of all breeding adults is essential.
- Be on the lookout for Caribbean dove, West Indian woodpecker, Cuban bullfinch, and smooth-billed ani.
- I needed to pick up an extra pair of binoculars from him, and he also showed me pictures from his recent trip to the Valley… Elegant Trogon, Crimson-collared Grosbeak, ani, jays, etc.
early 19th century: from Spanish ani, Portuguese anum, from Tupi anũ.
Definition of ani in:
- The US English dictionary