Definition of animal magnetism in English:
1A quality of sexual attractiveness: he had an animal magnetism that women found irresistible
More example sentences
- From the Beatles and Stones to Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, by and large, the biggest stars were the best musicians and the finest singers; they also tended to be the best looking, the ones most endowed with animal magnetism and charisma.
- This was and could still be (one imagines) an actor with a rare gift: he portrays menace with a great undercurrent of charm and animal magnetism.
- Now everybody wants leaders with animal magnetism and cinematic glamour.
2 historical A supposed emanation to which the action of mesmerism was ascribed.
- While basically conceptualizing animal magnetism as a dynamic physical fluid, Mesmer was also aware of the impact of rapport and affect in the enhancement of magnetic treatment.
- Yes, that's right, mesmerism, it was an early form of hypnosis; it was based on the idea of animal magnetism, and if you conducted certain passes and gestures, literally gestured hypnotically, then the person would go into a trance.
- Franz Anton Mesmer presented 27 propositions about animal magnetism in his Memoire sur Ia Decouverte du Magnetisme Animal, published in 1779.
Definition of animal magnetism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia