1A quality of sexual attractiveness: he had an animal magnetism that women found irresistible
More example sentences
- From the Beatles and Stones to Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, by and large, the biggest stars were the best musicians and the finest singers; they also tended to be the best looking, the ones most endowed with animal magnetism and charisma.
- This was and could still be (one imagines) an actor with a rare gift: he portrays menace with a great undercurrent of charm and animal magnetism.
- Now everybody wants leaders with animal magnetism and cinematic glamour.
2 historical A supposed emanation to which the action of mesmerism was ascribed.
- While basically conceptualizing animal magnetism as a dynamic physical fluid, Mesmer was also aware of the impact of rapport and affect in the enhancement of magnetic treatment.
- Yes, that's right, mesmerism, it was an early form of hypnosis; it was based on the idea of animal magnetism, and if you conducted certain passes and gestures, literally gestured hypnotically, then the person would go into a trance.
- Franz Anton Mesmer presented 27 propositions about animal magnetism in his Memoire sur Ia Decouverte du Magnetisme Animal, published in 1779.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ani¦mal mag¦net|ism
Definition of animal magnetism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.